Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Newsletter email frequency

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Newsletter email frequency
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:19:38 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

I have noticed that our French chums in APRIL get an email every month telling them what APRIL projects are active, what mailing lists exist and similar information. The main AFFS email newsletter is less frequent, because it contains articles and needs much work from the Secretary to prepare it for sending.

Would members reading this like a basic information announcement email in months without newsletters, or would that be considered too noisy? Reply on- or off-list and I will try to summarise later.

If there's enough material to fill it (and somebody can find enough time to put it all together), I would have thought a once a month regular bulletin on the pattern of, say, EDRI-gram:

http://www.edri.org/cgi-bin/index?id=000100000149

can be enormously useful in building "mindshare".

It can also be very useful for the organisation as a regular focus.

FWIW in the physical world the Lib Dems find that if they can achieve a steady once-a-month delivery of their "Focus" local newsletter, year in year out, (ie instead of a landslide of paper only immediately before an election), this is surprisingly well appreciated, and does make a very direct difference in getting local residents to feel they identify with the party...

(Assuming that month that it isn't proposing to open a plague pit next to their houses).