Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:59:58 +0000

Hi,

Just to add to what Alex has said...

On 30 Nov 2003, at 06:46, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

One thing that is clear is tha the students are both the commodity and
consumer here and exploitation is the only word I can think of.

I don't think that's necessarily a fair assessment of what JISC do. JISC's remit is pretty extensive, and I don't think any of it could be considered exploitation - quite the contrary, I think JISC on the whole are a positive force, funding lots of initiatives that are of direct or indirect benefit to learning, teaching and research.

We probably have to try few times for the AFFS to be recognised as a
body that should be kept within a loop of internal info emanating from
the JISC.

I suspect there's probably enough people within AFFS with strong academic / HE / FE backgrounds to ensure that JISC can't sneeze without us knowing about it ;-)

Given the relative sizes of AFFS and JISC, it's really up to AFFS to make sure they are aware of what JISC are up to, rather than JISC having to keep us informed. There's plenty of JISC announcement mailing lists we can subscribe to for that purpose.

eg, the original mail was sent to a wide ranging interests and we must
demand to be within that 'circle'.

That's a problem of OSS Watch, not JISC. To be fair to OSS Watch, AFFS is _NOT_ the target audience for this event - we are mostly the converted. I'll try and make a point of forwarding OSS Watch related information to fsfe-uk in the future though (if OSS Watch don't).

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/