Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:34:51 +0000

Hi,

On 28 Nov 2003, at 13:40, Jason Clifford wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Andrew Savory wrote:

The idea of OSS Watch is to provide a
balanced and neutral source of information about Open Source software
to the Higher Education community

OK, in that case it would seem reasonable to assume that those at the
event will be offering Open Source solutions for the education
communities.

Er, no. Not just Open Source solutions, but details on how one could use Open Source in a mixed environment, or whether indeed Open Source is the appropriate solution for your requirements. I think you perhaps need to read through the details on the what and why of OSS Watch to really pick up on why a mixed representation is not just a good idea but a necessity at the events they run.

What Open Source solutions do they offer?

It's not about what Open Source solutions they have, it's about how their solutions work and whether they are better than OS ones for a given situation.

Personally I feel it's disingenious to suggest that it's appropriate to
have those who not only don't provide such solutions there but even worse to have those who actively seek to prevent Open Source implementations and
who are even trying to make Open Source illegal.

I actually think the opposite - what better place to ask awkward questions, that highlight this behaviour in front of a large audience?

It seems analogous to the US inviting Saddam Hussein to take part in the
Iraq governing council. ;)

The problem with analogies is that they rarely are appropriate!

I'd counter with one of my own: "it's like chucking a snowball into hell to see how well it survives".

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/