Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: 30 Aug 2003 10:19:38 +0100

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 00:48, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2003-08-28 16:04:46 +0100 "Robert (Jamie) Munro"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The fact is that you can read an OO.org document by unzipping it and
> > feeding it into any XML parser or editor.
>
> Is CSS for some sort of OO.org document display technically possible?
> What other software is working on reading them?

KOffice will switch to OpenOffice.org file format
"We will switch to the OASIS (OpenOffice.org) file format
for all the major applications. This has many advantages:

    * file format shared with the OpenOffice.org suite,
      we don't have to reinvent the wheel
    * we'll be able to drop our OOo import filters and
      use the export filters as a compatibility layer for
      older KOffice versions documents
    * we can actively participate in the standard file
      format creation in the the case of Kexi and Kugar
      which are applications that don't currently exist
      in OOo

This is also a good opportunity to switch the names of
our MIME types to the vnd.kde... naming scheme and to
drop our KOffice-specific file extensions. It's again
the users who will benefit from this step, e.g. on
Windows it will be possible to open files created with
a KOffice application using the OpenOffice.org suite."

http://dot.kde.org/1061919133/
--
ian <address@hidden>