Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: 30 Aug 2003 09:03:53 +0100

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 00:48, MJ Ray wrote:
> > The fact is that you can read an OO.org document by unzipping it and
> > feeding it into any XML parser or editor.
>
> Is CSS for some sort of OO.org document display technically possible?
> What other software is working on reading them?

CSS is for HTML documents; it's not really relevant to XML. You could
use an XSL stylesheet to format the text though, that would definitely
be possible.

I don't believe a generic OOo.xsl file would be possible to create,
though - styles can be created on the fly and named mechanically. Style
P1, for example, could be anything - all you know is that it was the
first style the author applied ;) There is also a separate style file,
I'm not sure of the relation between the two though.

So, you would need an OOo2XSL.xsl file to process the content (&
possible pull in the other file) and output an XSL file, and then link
that file into the content with an XML stylesheet declaration.

Mozilla would then be capable of displaying the resulting document, but
sadly the chance of displaying it directly without mechanical
intervention (or only trivial intervention) doesn't look high. I don't
think this necessarily says that the file format is hard to work with,
just that there is a lot of stuff going on.