[Fsfe-uk] Software Patent Lobbying

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Software Patent Lobbying
Date: 25 Aug 2003 21:37:55 +0100

Hi everyone,

You'll be aware that AFFS is taking part in the on-line demonstration
against software patents (http://swpat.ffii.org,
http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/OnlineDemoPartnersWebsites) - I encourage
you all to do the same, to whatever extent you feel comfortable.

Also, there is a call for people from the UK to attend a meeting in
Brussels on Wednesday. You don't necessarily need to be financially well
off either, I include a post from Alex Macfie made to FFII-UK:

        "People from the UK are needed to supplement the team in
        Brussels this week, lobbying MEPs against the sofware directive
        proposal.

        "Travel and accommodation will be reimbursed, as will other
        reasonable expenses. It is very important to get this last push
        to get our message heard before the vote next week. Remember if
        we lose this time round there will be little chance to change
        the law in the future.

        "Please email me or Hartmut Pilch (phm at a2e.de) if you are
        able to come."

Alex's e-mail address is alex at cgce.net. I know this is very short
notice, which has stopped me going too, but it's a chance to travel and
good karma too :o)

FFII have issued a press release for this action, at
http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/demo0819/index.en.html. Alex Macfie is
pushing this quite widely, so please don't spam news outlets further
with it, but if you know of people who might not have heard about this
then please send them in that direction (especially if you have the ear
of useful people ;).