Re: [Fsfe-uk] QnetiQ study

From: Tom Coady
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] QnetiQ study
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:51:04 +0100

ian wrote:

That is a matter of presentation. The G put £100m a year into E-learing
credits without batting an Eyelid. There are even ways of diverting some
of that money. It just needs a little lateral thought.

You mean we could get funding to teach FLOSS/LAMPON? I am all ears ;)

The Gov hasn't got a specific ideology with regard to software, it is
just muddling along with a dated historic system because it doesn't
really understand what to do and in the whole scheme of Gov business its
seen as a small side issue.

I disagree slightly - virtually every time the government attempts to commission bespoke solutions it ends up spending over budget, behind time and becoming locked in to single vendors. Inland Revenue + EDS, TfL + Crapita and that whole NATS thing come to mind as recent examples. Talk of interoperability seems to be coming from the EU rather than here.

Again I think you can get too screwed up by this sort of thing. TB (and
most politicians) get kudos rubbing shoulders with big business. I think
its paranoia to think that there is something special and specific about
Microsoft. The thing is not to waste energy on invective but to do
positive things that under-mine such relationships.

I agree with the need to think positive, but realistically it appears that big business who pay to be heard *do* exert disproportionate influence.

Doesn't really matter. I guess that it was probably paid for by public
money and it is likely to have virtually no impact so its a waste of
public money.

Again I disagree slightly. When politicians have no clue and commission a study that becomes about the only basis for decision making and often does have an impact. I can only think of local examples at the moment, but I assume the same thing happens at central levels.