Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003)
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 16:47:41 GMT

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> There was never an idea to form a charity out of AFFS (except maybe in
> the very early stages), I think (from memory) a lot of that wordage was
> to do with any sister charity/charitable trust that we might have setup
> as a means of tax-efficient money funnelling. Of course, this might be
> my terrible memory... Mark would be the person to ask, really..

The reason that the wording about charities is in the constitution is
that it's a minimal edit of an NCVO model document, which makes certain
things easier and hopefully means there are fewer holes in it.  The reason
that I posted about charity status is that it was still the most common
question from new members and I didn't have the exact answer as to why.
If someone knew, why didn't they post it before instead of ridiculing
me now?

My response to the incorrect assertion that AFFS doesn't do much is
probably best not put into words.  Rather, I would say that we're not
being particularly good at communicating with our members, outside of
the small groups who are involved with our initiatives or who meet our
speakers at various events.  That's something that we must improve.
Oh well, at least we are achieving things, even if we need to get better
with comms and marketing.  Anyone who can help, let us know.

MJR