Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003)

From: Martin Keegan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:44:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Jason Clifford wrote:

> If AFFS is not intending to apply for charitable status I suspect that the
> overhead of registering as a Ltd company (even by Guarantee) might be more
> than is necessary.

For the foreseeable future I'd agree. I am very surprised that the idea of
being a charity had such legs; it's incompatible with what many people
thought AFFS was supposed to be, and for an organisation with revenue of
210 quid that does very little (though the EUCD consultation response is
appreciated insofar as it doesn't give the government more ammunition to
say that opponents of the EUCD are naive and underinformed), so madly
inappropriate that it doesn't bear thinking about.

> What liabilities do you envision AFFS incurring that could be limited
> under company law anyway?

Civil liability for defamation, that sort of thing. Again, only likely to
be an issue in a much larger AFFS.

Mk