Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003)

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:29:49 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Martin Keegan wrote:

> Despite being a strong believer in getting institutional frameworks right,
> I think that on balance registering as a charity is more trouble than it's
> worth: you get tax benefits and limited liability for officers. At present
> the organisation is too small to receive significant tax benefits, but the
> liability issue can be solved, if that's thought desirable, by registering
> as a company limited by guarantee instead of as a charity; this costs
> money and time, and probably isn't worth it yet, but is a viable option
> for the future, unlike the charity idea.

If AFFS is not intending to apply for charitable status I suspect that the
overhead of registering as a Ltd company (even by Guarantee) might be more
than is necessary.

What liabilities do you envision AFFS incurring that could be limited
under company law anyway?

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/           Get the T-Shirt Now