Re: charity disappointmnet (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did...

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: charity disappointmnet (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003))
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 00:31:44 GMT

Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is AFFS trying to change any existing laws?
>
> I thought  the software patents issue is still under consideration by the
> lawmakers.

It doesn't matter whether we're trying to change existing laws, or block
creation of new laws.  It is still classified as a political purpose.  The
relevant booklet is CC9 and the definition is at
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publications/cc9.asp#7

   8. Briefly, the Courts have held that purposes designed [...] to seek or
   oppose changes in the law or government policy or decisions, whether in
   this country or abroad, are political purposes and not, therefore,
   charitable.

As you'll see from later in that booklet, it is possible to modify the aims
at the AGM to allow us to register as a charity.  I'll continue discussions
with the charity commission to confirm or refute that in good time.

MJR