Re: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden info

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden info
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:04:37 +0100

I kinda disagree...

They are setting up / have setup a LUG - They probably know linux is cost free at least.

Maybe when I get round to writing my review of Free as in Freedom - generously donated by OReilly, we can send them a copy of that. :)

In short, education is good, but I think they'd be focused on cost, so I wouldn't put too much effort in, on the other hand - they have at least heard of linux.

At 03:04 PM 6/10/02 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:38:05PM +0100, Martyn Ranyard wrote:
>   They seem to be real, at least.  Don't know what that actually means
> though, and what kind of freebies they think fsf could provide I don't
> know.  I myself am involved in a similar project, so I certainly won't be
> donating kit, but I suppose if people know of people throwing away machines
> then it's a good direction to throw them.

I think this is probably right - they remind me of the LowTech
organisation that exists in Sheffield. I wonder if they are trying
to give away cheap/free computers, did a search for "free software" and
came across the FSFE?

If that is the case, it is unlikely that they came seeking Free
Software, but I guess we can educate them all the same :) Putting them
in touch with LowTech in Sheffield might be useful, since it is a
similar organisation.

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

icq - 122500800