Re: [Fwd: [Fsfe-uk] Hello]

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fsfe-uk] Hello]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:40:21 GMT

Chris Puttick <address@hidden> wrote:
> StarOffice will be free to education [...]

Are you Sun?  Why do you think it will be free tomorrow?

> I am very comfortable with the differences between Free Software (s), Open
> Source and MS shared source, and the differences between the various
> licences. And it is not something you want to start explaining to
> educators - most of them are there to teach, not learn (excuse my
> cynicism).

So point them at the real good shit, keep your wording clean and explain the
benefits, not technicalities and legalese?

Bizarrely, I find that students appreciate the benefits of freedom quicker
than the teachers.  Maybe it's because the students have studied market
economics more recently?  ;-)