Re: [Fwd: [Fsfe-uk] Hello]

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fsfe-uk] Hello]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:03:48 GMT

Chris Puttick <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ah, that reply-to nonsense :-)

What, having to use "reply to all" to, uh, reply to all?  ;-)

> Schools in the UK are a few steps behind industry, hence the common lack of
> connectivity, or dire connnectivity. And hence their addiction to big brand
> names.

When will the JANet commitment to wire in all schools have an effect?

> And that leads me to a solution... Make Open Source and Linux a big brand
> name. I understand strictly we're talking about Free Software and GNU/Linux,
> but at risk of flames, keeping it simple and understandable will get the
> cause a lot further.

Keeping it simple is fine.  Keeping it wrong is not.  Surely educators can
appreciate that.  "Open Source" is both the wrong emphasis for education,
who should care more about a free services market than being able to see the
code, and a term being diluted by proprietarists.

> And try to avoid the free word without explaining who it has cost.

Parse error, sorry.

[...]
> StarOffice implementation makes moving to Linux easier. [...]

Huh?  StarOffice is restricted software, too.
--