Re: Who's here and how did you get here?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Who's here and how did you get here?
Date: 14 May 2001 23:58:58 +0100

Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> writes:

> [...] This doesn't surprise me, because schools and
> universities do not seem to use free software.

My university is finally going to start supporting Free Software
centrally, it seems.  Yay!

The big battle in HE has been the perceived low quality of Free
Software and expensive cost of supporting it.  There's also a natural
tendency to believe salesman (which FS normally has none) and mistrust
of open standards (or diverse client software).  Combine that with the
site licences and you get a monopoly embrace waiting to happen.

There is a stalled OpenSource.ac.uk site and a recently-started Open
Source In Education (OSIE) project.  I can't give you a URL on the
last one, as the site I read the article on (Think Open) was hacked
last week.  :-(

--
MJR