Re: [fsf-community-team] [HELP!] Apple iPad press work

From: James Phillips
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] [HELP!] Apple iPad press work
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:52:20 -0700

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 06:23:51PM -0500, Holmes Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> It would be awesome if people could help circulate news about iPad's
> dangerous DRM scheme on the popular sites writing about the iPad launch.
>
> We had protesters on the scene at the event, and launched a petition
> against iPad DRM.  A summary of our main points (which you can glean by
> reading the posts): it's a general purpose computer whose manufacturer
> (and its business partners) have total veto power over the applications
> you can run.  This is not the direction that anybody sane wants to see
> computing take.

I think it is fairly clear that the iPad is *not* a general-purpose computer:
otherwise, it would be using the "standard" Mac OS X.

Should we write up a press-release for the print media explaining that
the iPad won't save the industry?

Can Apple save the newspaper industry?
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/technology-gadgets/
can-apple-save-the-newspaper-industry-14648806.html

"The more your tighten your grip, (the more readers) will slip through
your fingers." comes to mind. (Star-wars quote apparently).

Regards,

James Phillips