Re: [fsf-community-team] [HELP!] Apple iPad press work

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] [HELP!] Apple iPad press work
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 02:01:57 +1300

I'm seeing a lot of people arguing technical merits or demerits on the
iPad. Disparaging the thing by pointing out that it does not do usb,
multitasking, flash, etc etc. I've even seen one wag complaining that
its battery life is so short he cannot even read War and Peace in one
sitting.

This is not where we need to focus our efforts.

We don't care about flash because we want people to use ogg/theora video
in html5 <video> tags. Does Safari do this yet?

The rest are hardware design decisions, which we would not object to if
the thing ran free software. The problem is that the iPad is even more
restricted than the hp Slate that runs Win7. In fact - the first release
looks to be the most oppressive product they've had yet. With luck and
sound campaigning, we can get the next version to be a little less
oppressive... or, at least, give the up and coming tablet vendors
something to think about.