Re: [fsf-community-team] Why should we talk about the freedom?

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Why should we talk about the freedom?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:56:13 -0500

On 09-12-16 10:03 AM, Ted Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 23:06 +1300, Simon Bridge wrote:
really the four freedoms mainly apply to the freedom of programmers.

the Four Freedoms, as I can recall them:

[0] Freedom to use the software for any purpose
[1] Freedom to study and modify the software to suit your needs
[2] Freedom to share the software
[3] Freedom to share modified versions of the software

The only one of those that could be said to require any programming
knowledge is [1].

Another way of framing the argument (which you made very well):

You don't need to be a journalist to benefit from the freedom of the press,
neither do you need to be a programmer to benefit from software freedom.

--
http://blaise.ca/