Re: [fsf-community-team] Why should we talk about the freedom?

From: manny
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Why should we talk about the freedom?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:24:07 +0800 (PHT)

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Simon Bridge wrote:

This got posted on the NZLUG lists... lock and load:

The average bloke doesn't give a monkeys about libre. For too long open source zealots have been pushing the libre side, when really the four freedoms mainly apply to the freedom of programmers.

I'm not a programmer, but I value the fact that others can modify and improve the software I use.

I value the fact that a community has the freedom to back up and maintain this kind of software without my having to purchase some kind of maintenance contract.

I value the fact that I can redistribute this software without DRM.

I give a whole lot of monkeys about "freedom" and "free as in free speech". - Boom!

God bless!
--
Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to
do what we ought. -- Pope John Paul II

Please sign the online petition against the RH/Abortion Bill (HB5043)
http://www.petitiononline.com/xxhb5043/petition.html

--[Manny address@hidden
           PHNix TechNet (tech blog): http://www.phnix.net
  PHNix Network Advocate (advocacy blog): http://mamador.wordpress.com