Re: Autohinter project for GSoC

From: Brad Neimann
Subject: Re: Autohinter project for GSoC
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:15:46 +1100

Hi Werner,

I think that the development of a generic database format and its
integration into the auto-hinter is the main problem.  The most
important question to answer is how to tell the auto-hinter what to
do, in a rather generic way.

Let's take letter 'i': What exactly is the auto-hinter supposed to do?
There must be some higher-level command(s) in the database like 'the
distance between the upper and lower outline must not become smaller
than (say) 1px'.  There are already 'actions' in `aflatin.c`, for
example, 'ANCHOR', 'ADJUST', 'STEM', etc.; these commands probably
should influence the actions.

Adding more characters is then a probably tedious (due to testing) but
rather trivial issue; this means that adding more characters to the
database is a bonus, to be done *after* implementing a database.

OK, so this helps me understand the project somewhat better. I agree that this doesn’t seem like something that could be easily split up. Although I am curious to know— what fraction of the time would you estimate various stages to take? From what I understand, it sounds like roughly 50% would involve designing the database and 50% implementing it, but it’s hard for me to know.

Regards,
Brad