Autohinter project for GSoC

From: Brad Neimann
Subject: Autohinter project for GSoC
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:00:33 +1100

Hi all,

I hope I’m not too late with this, but I am very interested in helping out with the GSoC project to improve the auto-hinting of glyphs with diacritics and other small elements. I have been irritated by poor rendering of characters such as ‘ã’ and ‘ḷ’ for quite a while, so would be excited to get an opportunity to fix this! I have background in both programming and linguistics (especially writing systems), and after talking a bit to Werner Lemberg, I believe I have the skills necessary to do this project. I have already compiled freetype and experimented with the demos, which has given me an idea of what needs fixing and some possible solutions.

However, I am somewhat worried about the scope of this project. I am completing a Master’s degree this year, and will not have the time to complete a full 350 h project; I’m sure I would make good progress, but suspect the scope of the project might need to be reduced for it to be feasible for me. Does anyone here have any ideas on what I could reasonably expect to accomplish? And would anyone even be interested in mentoring such a project?

Regards,
Brad