Re: (cross-)building ttdebug for windows

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: (cross-)building ttdebug for windows
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 21:25:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Saturday, 4 March 2023, 05:57:43 GMT, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> >  in Makefile, near line 304:
> >
> > Change
> >
> >  EXTRAFLAGS = $DUNIX $DHAVE_POSIX_TERMIOS

> >  EXTRAFLAGS =
> >
> > that's the line which blindly defines "-DUNIX -DHAVE_POSIX_TERMIOS".
> > With this simple change, ttdebug cross-builds.

> Good catch!

> > I guess nobody have tried cross-compiling the freetype demos for
> > windows for years, or building all the freetype demos for windows
> > natively (i.e., with visual studio) ever - a few of visual studio
> > projects are missing.

> This is most likely a correct assumption – at least for `Makefile`.
> Meson support, on the other hand, also builds `ttdebug`; maybe this
> works already out of the box on Windows, too.

It is a bit more troublesome than that... those EXTRAFLAGS were at the initial commit - i.e. 20+ years old.
So the assumptions have always been that autoconf/make build = unix etc. That's obviously not the case for cross-compile for windows, or msys2 .

I haven't tried the meson build yet, but I can't see it defining UNIX anywhere. So likely windows build works, but linux build is crippled / broken - -dUNIX is used for 4 programs, ttdebug, ftbench, gbench, ftlint. For ftbench and ftlint, usage seems to be trivial - just function stubs for getopt(). gbench is for timing fuctions, and ttdebug for temios. so gbench is a bit crippled without the timing functions, while I think ttdebug meson shouldn't build on linux at all, since without -dUNIX, it should look for windows's conio.h .