Re: Getting Involved With Freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Getting Involved With Freetype
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:58:37 +0000 (UTC)

Hello James,

welcome to FreeType – please subscribe to the mailing list!

> I've noticed that a few other open source organizations tag
> "beginner-friendly" bugs on their repo pages as a way to help new
> contributors get used to the code base.  I haven't noticed any of
> these labels on FreeType's GitLab page.  Is there a list of bugs
> that might be suitable for a beginner to tackle?

Unfortunately, no.  FreeType is an old and mature library that
normally doesn't have small open tasks since we are going to fix them
rather quickly.  Looking into the issues, however, maybe you can try
one of the following.

* This report

    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1129

  qualifies as something not too difficult to do, provided you have
  experience with Windows programming.

* A non-programming task is

    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1163

* Some `git bisect` training together with step-wise debugging could be

    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1005

  to identify the problem (and eventually fix it).

* Maybe

    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1004

  is also not too difficult.

     Werner