freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] TextUI for FreeTalk

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] TextUI for FreeTalk
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:42:49 +0530

yanis,

>       - when I speak to a lot of people at the same time it's very annoying
> when I want to speak to another person to press backspace for 4 seconds
> to delete the name of the person I was talking to, to  write the name of
> the new person I want to chat. Somehow we have to came up with a
> solution to this.

keeping backspace pressed for 4 seconds is not the way to use freetalk. It
has advanced readline capabilities which you should exploit.

use ctrl-u to clear old/full line in one-shot. and use tab autocompletion to
autocomplete the new JID. readline keybindings is the main power of freetalk.

With readline you can do a lot of funky stuff from the command line like
deleting full line, delete last/next word, moving to next/last word,
capitalizing/uncapitalizing words/lines, just to name very few, with simple
keystorkes.

Probably a full-fledged readline intro/tutorial will help you appretiate
the power of readline.

>       - the "status" messages (log on,log off,change status), shouldn't be
> displayed in the screen because when you have a lot of contacts theses
> messages are displayed very often and they are annoying. It would be
> fine if there was a "status line" (maybe at the top of the screen) to
> display these messages.

we make use of screen (for scroll) and /history features.. though your
suggestion is valid. implementing a /toggle status is pending and in our
to-do list which will toggle displayin status updates. your suggestion will
be nice in a 'ncurses mode freetalk'.. it kills the 'geekiness' in the
readline/default mode :-)

> (off topic: by the way how do I store the jid and password I use?)

see examples/freetalk.scm and write a similar ~/.freetalk/freetalk.scm
that way you can just type 'freetalk' and get logged in automatically
and continue to start jabbering..

regards,
avati