freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] TextUI for FreeTalk

From: yanis
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] TextUI for FreeTalk
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:30:04 +0200

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 10:51 +0530, Anand Avati wrote:
> The default UI of Freetalk is suited for the authors' choice, and generally
> meant for the power user. It has context specific autocompletion, on-spot
> evaluation of lisp expressions (guile), and kind of stuffs the authors
> preferred. Over time after using serveral console based messengers we found
> that this model works best for us, and hence. readline was something we
> preferred over ncurses for agility.
>
> Freetalk design is such that the UI is scripted in GNU Guile (scheme dialect
> of lisp). Having a UI apart from the one provided is very much possible,
> and also welcome into our contrib/ section. Using guile-ncurses, writing
> and ncurses UI (or even GTK/QT/X) UI fits into the Freetalk core seamlessly.
>
> Please have a look at examples/ for some very minimal examples of how you
> can script your own freetalk client with the power of GNU Guile.
>
> The Freetalk team will be happy to guide you hack an ncurses frontend, if
> you decide to do so.
>
> regards,

I understand completely what you're talking about and I agree with this
"policy". I don't know If I start a ncurses frontend yet, until you tell
me what do you think of my following thought:
-> surely the advanced/authors' orientation shouldn't have to change
.I have used Freetalk for some days and there are two things that could
change without changing the power of use that now provides:
        - when I speak to a lot of people at the same time it's very annoying
when I want to speak to another person to press backspace for 4 seconds
to delete the name of the person I was talking to, to  write the name of
the new person I want to chat. Somehow we have to came up with a
solution to this.
        - the "status" messages (log on,log off,change status), shouldn't be
displayed in the screen because when you have a lot of contacts theses
messages are displayed very often and they are annoying. It would be
fine if there was a "status line" (maybe at the top of the screen) to
display these messages.

(off topic: by the way how do I store the jid and password I use?)

regards,yanis.