RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Bengali OT specification

From: Andy White
Subject: RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Bengali OT specification
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 02:34:43 -0000

>to have ta-hashanto-ta you would have

>ta+hashanto+zwj+ta

>to have khanda-ta + ta you would have

>ta+hashanto+zwnj+ta

>and to have ta-y-ta (the conjunct)

>ta+hashanto+ta

This is correct

Also
Ta+hasanta = khanda-ta (when at the end of a word)
Ta+ hashanta+SomeNonConjunctingLetter = khanda-ta +
SomeNonConjunctingLetter

Implementing my suggestions means that the only time you need to include
a ZWNJ would be when KhandaTa needs to be displayed in the middle of a
word. In all other cases involving Ta Hasanta would be automatically
handled by the regular lookups in the font.

I implemented the above in a Bangla font more than two years ago and it
worked fine then. So I was a bit dismayed when the Indic FAQ was changed
earlier this year to include a different handling.

Andy