Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Akaash is not working with RH 7.3

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Akaash is not working with RH 7.3
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:41:52 -0600

On Friday 15 November 2002 01:51 pm, you wrote:
> Hi ,
>       I am able to see the begali fonts using Mozilla & also can not write
> bengali using gedit as you mentioned but waiting for when I can write
> begali usng Linux & also begali as a language support.

Let me give you a few general suggestions before answering your mail.

1. Reply to the list, not to me personally, as others may then answer your
questions as well. They may often have information that I might not.

2. There have been a couple of other mails to address@hidden in
answer to your earlier mail, which might have been helpful to you. You
probably haven't received them if you are not subscribed to the list. So, I
suggest you look at the archives at
http://mail.nongnu.org/pipermail/freebangfont-devel/2002-November/thread.html

Coming back to your mail. There are already several ways to write bengali on
Linux.

1. Use Yudit
2. Use Lekho (see mail from Kaushik in the freebangfont-devel archive)
3. Use bengali keyboard layout (again, see mail from Taneem in the archive)

Also, since this sort of technology is somewhat bleeding edge, the information
that you are using Linux is not enough. You need to tell us what distribution
(including what version) you are using.

Yudit and Lekho do not depend on system-wide bengali capabilities, so they
should be usable on any system. gedit does depend on other system libraries.
If you are using recent versions of gedit and pango (say version 1.1.1),
gedit should be able to show you proper bengali, and you should also be able
to input bengali using a special keyboard layout (Taneems's mail gives
details on this). If you are not sure whether your versions are recent
enough, you can do the following:

1. go to www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/convert.html (use
mozilla).

2. write something and convert it to bengali. It wouldn't show up as properly
rendered bengali, but it should be something sensible.

3. Cut and paste the bengali portion into gedit (make sure you are using
Akaash as the font).

If gedit shows it as correct bengali, you are good to go.

Deepayan