fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] universal macOS dynamic libs for a Pure data external?

From: Alexandre Torres Porres
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] universal macOS dynamic libs for a Pure data external?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 01:06:03 -0300

hi, thanks for the binaries, I think they are useful, though I'm not sure I'll end up using them right now. I will let you know.

thanks

Em qui., 5 de mai. de 2022 às 04:04, Tom M. <tom.mbrt@googlemail.com> escreveu:
Ok, I got it compiled for arm64 and x86_64. You can grab the binaries from here:
https://dev.azure.com/tommbrt/tommbrt/_build/results?buildId=7586&view=artifacts&pathAsName=false&type=publishedArtifacts

For the moment, I only got it working on MacOS 11 and 12, but not on
MacOS 10.15. I'm not even sure if there's any difference. Ideally, you
would grab the binaries for MacOS 12 and let me know if they work for
10.x.

The binaries are in standard unix-folder structure (bin,lib,include),
rather than the MacOS framework structure. Let me know if that works
for you. Getting the Framework structure with all its dependency libs
is more complicated.

Also note that the binaries are not signed at the moment. If you find
this useful at all, I can continue to investigate how to get it
signed. I found the following interesting note about code signing on
Mac:

"You can use a [...] Code Signing Certificate (standard and EV) to
sign your Mac OS software, tools, updates, utilities and applications.
However, if you want your apps to open on a Mac that has Gatekeeper
enabled or want to distribute apps in the App Store, you need to
create a developer ID to sign your Mac apps and installer packages;
only Apple Developer code signing certificates are compatible with
GateKeeper."

I currently only have a standard Code Signing Certificate, with which
it should be possible to sign the binaries with Apple's codesign tool.
However, I do not have an Apple dev ID and I'm not going to get one as
it costs some money (and I'm not interested in). If you don't need
this GateKeeper thingy, I can continue heading in this direction.

In case you're interested in some insights; the pipeline containing
the commandline instructions for building the binaries can be found
here:
https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/blob/7bb06ad2264be636f7a9c7fad73a921578d284af/.azure/azure-pipelines-mac.yml#L139-L152

> if I try to build my Pd eternal it fails cause it can't find <fluidsynth.h>

You have to make sure that the directory containing the fluidsynth.h
is on the compiler's include search path. In your case, imagine that
/my/directory contains the fluidsynth.h, you can try to set the
following env variable:
export CFLAGS="-I /my/directory"

In a similar way you have to take care that the linker finds the
dylibs by setting the linker search path:
export LDFLAGS="-L /my/dylib-directory -L /my/potentially/other/dylib/dir"

If you don't want to care about setting those flags manually, using a
buildsystem like CMake and pkg-config would do it for you.

Tom