epix-users

Re: [ePiX-users] Figure size

From: Andrew D. Hwang
Subject: Re: [ePiX-users] Figure size
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, José Alexandre Nalon wrote:

However, code that can automatically choose the bounding box (as you asked
about via email) would ensure picture contents nearly fill the bounding
box. I'll experiment with some ideas in the coming weeks.

That would help a lot. I looked in the generated .eepic file, and
noticed that it contains a lot of numbers, which I suppose are
coordinates used to draw the picture elements.

Yes, that's right. :)

Changing the bounding box rescales these coordinates without affecting the font size, which is easier than writing a script. As you note, scaling eps files generally changes the text size, and therefore isn't optimal.

Here's the technique I use: Guess the approximate corners of the bounding box, and define them in the picture command

  picture(P(a,c), P(b,d), "...");

rather than defining (a,c) and (b,d) as symbolic entities. Compile the figure with a border(); command added, and adjust the bounding box visually.

The previewer gv has a "watch file" option, which updates the preview when the eps file changes on disk. If you use emacs with Jay Belanger's epix mode, the visual adjustment is a matter of changing the corners in the input file and typing C-c C-l to recompile. When the bounding box is set
correctly, remove the border(); command.

Admittedly, this can be tedious if you've already created a large number of figures of different virtual size.

--
Andy

Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
Department of Math and CS       http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)