Re: [Enigma-devel] Installing Enigma on Ubuntu

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Installing Enigma on Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 17:04:37 +0200

Hi,
The enigma packages in Ubuntu are a single line modification (adding
their icon cache) of the Debian packages I did.

>   Replace every "dapper" with "edgy" in /etc/apt/sources.list
>   apt-get install enigma
>   Put /etc/apt/sources.list back how it was

The preferred way of doing such is by setting Apt::Default-Release to
"dapper" and duplicating the lines for "edgy". Google for
"apt-default-release". Then you should be able to install enigma from
edgy by doing "apt-get -t edgy install enigma'. At least if
dependencies can be worked out somehow, I didn't test it.

>   This (mostly) seemed to work.  Apart from the install loosing the
> LANGUAGE environment settings and Enigma not being able to open

There was only recently a bug opened at Debian that locales don't
properly work. I havn't investigated it yet. My latest try at building
enigma svn versions for Debian failed at the po/Makefile.in.in not
working right (the mkinstalldirs issue seems to be back?).
But the enigma-data package does contain locales data, so I don't
really know why they don't work.
Enigma in Debian unstable was broken a few days ago because of
libzipios++ updates, btw., but it was resolved by a new upload of
libzipios++

> /dev/sequencer (which results in game sound but no music).  However,

Debian (and thus Ubuntu) Enigma has the music files removed because
there was doubt that they are to be considered 'free'. I never
bothered to do a enigma-non-free package just for the title music,
since I don't want any music anyway.

>   Tarim might try a Debian distro next.  Under Debian, can you install
> Enigma 1.00 with apt-get (or an equivalent) without having to install
> all the dependencies by hand?
That depends on the version of Debian. As far as I know, Enigma 1.00
missed the "etch" release. In "lenny" (testing) you have the enigma 1.00.

Yes. At the etch release party I talked to a release manager, and I
could easily have gotten the 1.00 version into etch. But it's too late
now (and I don't think it's that important; usually desktop users
switch to testing rather sooner than later anyway, because they want
to have some new fancy 3d-effect in KDE or Gnome or wherever).

I don't know when I'll have time to investigate and fix the locales issue.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
   erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
 To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\