Re: [Enigma-devel] Installing Enigma on Ubuntu

From: Raoul
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Installing Enigma on Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 14:20:23 +0200

Hi,
>   Tarim has been evaluating Ubuntu (Dapper) recently.  He didn't fancy
> installing all those dependencies (that's what package managers are
> for, after all!)  So, instead, he did the following:
>
>   Replace every "dapper" with "edgy" in /etc/apt/sources.list
>   apt-get install enigma
>   Put /etc/apt/sources.list back how it was
>
>   This (mostly) seemed to work.  Apart from the install loosing the
> LANGUAGE environment settings and Enigma not being able to open
> /dev/sequencer (which results in game sound but no music).  However,
> Tarim isn't completely sure that using apt-get on such a radically
> different sources.list file won't mess things up in future (or if
> he'll be able to tell!)
I don't know what would _exactly_ happen, if you do an apt-get update in
the wrong (with the "new" sources.list) moment.
To be on the secure side, probably an apt-get update after the change
back to the old sources.list would be good.
(But probably not necessary).
>   As Ubuntu's design goal is to create a distro which is "Linux for
> dummies" and Dapper is the release with long term support - it might
> be nice if someone could produce a back-port of Enigma 1.00.  Then
> users won't have to either fiddle the sources.list or install all the
> dependencies separately.  Tarim doesn't know the package system well
> enough to do this yet.  Who did the other Ubuntu ports?
>

>   Tarim might try a Debian distro next.  Under Debian, can you install
> Enigma 1.00 with apt-get (or an equivalent) without having to install
> all the dependencies by hand?
That depends on the version of Debian. As far as I know, Enigma 1.00
missed the "etch" release. In "lenny" (testing) you have the enigma 1.00.

See also here:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=enigma+&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
>   Many thanks for all the fun you've created :-)
Thanks :-)

-- Raoul