Re: [Enigma-devel] Portability issues with score files

From: Aaron Schrab
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Portability issues with score files
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:21:24 -0600

At 23:10 +0100 01 Dec 2006, Ronald Lamprecht <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Erich Schubert wrote:
> >Hi,
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401128
> >
> >sounds to me like some 32bit vs. 64bit issues with the score files.
> >There might also be some endianess issues, then.
> >Some users might want to share their home directory across different
> >archtiectures; they should be able to share their score files, too.

While it would certainly be nice to be able to share the score files,
the current bug goes much farther than that.

I didn't start using the 32bit version until after I first saw the
problem a few times.  That is that under amd64 it won't work with any
score file, even one that was produced on the same amd64 system with the
same version of enigma.

> Even though I did not test Enigma on 64 bit architectures I did design
> all files in the userdata path "~/.enigma/" to be sharable between
> different architectures and OS's.
>
> The bug report shows that Aaron did just copy the "enigma.score" file.
> But this file is married with the "state.xml" file. You have to
> backup/copy/share both. The best strategy is to share the complete folder.

Actually, I didn't copy anything.  My home directory is shared between
the main amd64 system and the i386 chroot.  So the entire .enigma
directory and the .enigmarc.xml were shared.

> All OS/architecture dependent preferences are stored in "~/.enigma.xml".
> This file contains just a few properties - and of course the reference
> to the user path itself. BTW the user path can be set in the Options
> menu to any path you like.
>
> The error message  "Mismatch of state.xml and enigma.score" occurs on a
> string compare. All architecture dependent errors should cause other
> messages.
>
> @Aaron: if the problems still remain on the amd64 please delete the
> enigma.score - restart Enigma and send me "enigma.score" and "state.xml"
> for analysis purposes.

Yes, the problem still occurs.  I just moved my .enigma directory out of
the way, ran it under amd64 and produced the attached files.  Quitting
and restarting (again in amd64) still produced the mismatch error.