Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Newly ordered levels

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Newly ordered levels
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:12:13 +0100

Erich Schubert wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to include just some level packs (except
unfinished or maybe speciality packs). I'd really do one source tarball
with the engine, and then tarballs for the level packs.
And one (especially an installer for windows...) which includes the
compiled engine and all the finished level packs.

You could then offer an "update" package, which includes the new level
packs (if any) and the new engine only.

The challenging task is to handle the differences in the installation mechanisms of the operating systems.

The simplest approach for a level pack update is the one that Andreas did choose: a tar/zip with the "complete" new level packs - the user requested to replace the existing "system"-level packs. The drawbacks are obvious as users may loose their thumbnails (png's) and Unix users may corrupt their rpm-installation database.

The approach of level update packages would still require the distribution of all level sources including thumbnails in case a single level being modified. Furthermore the update packages would be OS-dependent. If you request a single installer for windows you would still end up with the problems of the first approach in case of a level update package.

A solution for level updates may be provided by the Enigma filesystem structure: all resource files are looked up at several places - first at the users HOME Enigma directory and only if not found there at the Enigma installation resource directory.

Installation of level updates like the one of Andreas at the users HOME Enigma directory neither disturbes the OS-installation-database nor does it delete thumbnails. All files not included in an update are still taken from Enigma's installation resource directory.

I did update the engine to support HOME-less Windows users with a user Enigma directory at "Application Data\Enigma". So the last approach will work for them with the next release, too.

For the future I started investigation on "automatic" level updates. Enigma should provide an option to update levels and levelpack-indices via http or ftp. The updates should be downloaded to the users HOME Enigma directory. The updates should occur on a file base instead of a package base - only modified files will be downloaded.

Unfinished level packs are different, they are more likely to receive
changes, after all...

An installation to the users HOME Enigma directory would be preferable.

best regards,

Ronald