Re: [Enigma-devel] Your Upload.com Submission Has Been Accepted

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Your Upload.com Submission Has Been Accepted
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:17:54 +0200

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:29 -0400, Jacob Scott wrote:
> I found the entry for enigma -- it's version 0.92, with an
> introduction very similar to that on the enigma homepage.  Apparently
> it was only added July 8th, 2005, and has already had 16890 downloads!
>  Doesn't that sound a little bit fishy?

I don't think so.  download.com is a huge and very popular site.  Enigma
was downloaded more than 10.000 times after it was reviewed by c't (one
of the largest computer magazines in Germany), so I think the number is
not that unreasonable.  It's still remarkable, though :-)

You can also compare those numbers with the regular Enigma downloads
(only available as of July 6th):

https://developer.berlios.de/project/stats/?group_id=3972

> On 7/14/05, Drake Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

> > This suggests that someone may have registered an account with the
> > enigma-devel list as its email address, as I understand it.  If so, it
> > doesn't sound legitimate.  Furthermore, if they're uploading only
> > binaries, they are in violation of the GNU General Public License.

No, I don't think so.  Distribution in binary form is allowed if you
don't modify the executable.  Even if it was a violation of the GPL, I
wouldn't really mind -- it's not every day you get free publicity on
this scale :)

Daniel