[Enigma-devel] RFC: Observations

From: Tacvek
Subject: [Enigma-devel] RFC: Observations
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 20:07:50 -0500

In this message I am posting my thoughts and opinions.
I realize some of what I am saying is obvious, however it needs to be said.

---

The xml-based level files look promising for the future of Enigma levels.
The format appears to be rather easy manipulate via an editor, yet still has
the all the power of a Lua-based level due to the optional Lua section. The
files have a section for metadata which may eventually replace the need for
the text indexes.

A Lua-based parser is sufficient for testing purposes. However because
editors will most likely be using a fully-functional xml parser, It would be
wise for Enigma to do the same if the xml format is adopted as a/the
official level format. Of particular concern is the ability to use a CDATA
section to allow the Lua code to safely use less than or greater than signs.

---

The changelog has fallen out of date. I suspect that it will be updated
based on the arch comments when 9.0 is released.

---

It may soon be time to start looking at organizing the default Enigma
levelsets by wrapping them in zip files. AFAICT, there is code in place to
allow that.
The reasoning is that the current organization method does not work very
well. I suspect that some levels may be unintentionally included in multiple
levelsets. I am nearly certain that a few levels are included in enigma that
by accident (as opposed to intention) are not included in any levelsets.

Then there are levels found in multiple locations. For example most of the
ss_esp## are included in both the esprit folder (where they belong) and the
main levels folder (where they don't).

Also it may soon be time to consider awakening www.enigma-levels.de , as
after Enigma 1.0 is released (I know it may still be a long ways away), I
expect there to be people who create levels sets, and we cannot include them
all in the main distribution.

---

The system currently used for cheat codes would work very well for chat
between 2 or more players, allowing access to the commands with a special
prefix that almost nobody would begin their messages with, such as '&&&' or
something similar.

---

The current enigma source does not read the setting for wizardmode, so
wizard mode cannot be activated w/o making a change in the source and
recompiling.

---
All in all enigma is progressing nicely, albeit slowly.

Tacvek

P.S. DHeck: If you don't mind, please comment on each part of this message,
clarifying any places that I am incorrect, and giving your gut reaction for
the few ideas I've added. And yes I realize that a few of the suggestions
are currently being planned, but further framework is necessary.