Re: [Enigma-devel] RFC: Observations

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] RFC: Observations
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:03:50 +0100

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 20:07:50 -0500 Tacvek wrote:

> A Lua-based parser is sufficient for testing purposes. However because
> editors will most likely be using a fully-functional xml parser, It would be
> wise for Enigma to do the same if the xml format is adopted as a/the
> official level format. Of particular concern is the ability to use a CDATA
> section to allow the Lua code to safely use less than or greater than signs.

Good point, I hadn't thought about those.

> The changelog has fallen out of date. I suspect that it will be updated
> based on the arch comments when 9.0 is released.

Yup

> It may soon be time to start looking at organizing the default Enigma
> levelsets by wrapping them in zip files. AFAICT, there is code in place to
> allow that.

Not exactly, there are provisions for code that allows tha, but for
example it's currently not possible to load preview images from a zip
files.  This is a necessary feature for Enigma--creating add-on level
packs for Enigma is currently much too difficult.  But so far I did not
have enough time to finish it.

> The reasoning is that the current organization method does not work very
> well. I suspect that some levels may be unintentionally included in multiple
> levelsets. I am nearly certain that a few levels are included in enigma that
> by accident (as opposed to intention) are not included in any levelsets.
>
> Then there are levels found in multiple locations. For example most of the
> ss_esp## are included in both the esprit folder (where they belong) and the
> main levels folder (where they don't).

Only the files in the main folder are included in the distribution
tarball, the esprit folder is only present in the repository.

The problem you noticed is unfortunately not solved by simply putting
everything into zip files.  It also requires a new naming scheme for
levels in the enigmarc files

> Also it may soon be time to consider awakening www.enigma-levels.de , as
> after Enigma 1.0 is released (I know it may still be a long ways away), I
> expect there to be people who create levels sets, and we cannot include them
> all in the main distribution.

There is currently an effort to create a web-based Enigma forum where
people can exchange hints and maybe also new levels.   This may be a
better solution than a simple web page, mainly because a forum requires
less maintenance.

> The current enigma source does not read the setting for wizardmode, so
> wizard mode cannot be activated w/o making a change in the source and
> recompiling.

enigma --wizard

works.  There are two variables in the source code, only one of them is
actually used...

- Daniel