Re: [Enigma-devel] Oxyd 2000

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Oxyd 2000
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:05:12 -0400

This message has been sent to the list, not to nicosoftgames.

French translations
of this license can certainly be found
on the internet.  Please read it

The author of this program seems to have no trouble writing English so I doubt language will be a problem.

2) The executable oxyd2000.exe is a (slightly) modified version of
enigma.exe.  Removing my name from the credits screen is not very nice,
to say the least.  You have every right (and opportunity) to claim
credits for *your* work, but not for mine.

If you had included a copyright symbol before your name on the credits screen
this would also be a violation of the GPL. Besides it is just wrong.

3) It appears that your level editor includes some of Enigma's graphics
files in the .exe file.  I'm not going to pick nits here, but a strict
interpretation of Enigma's license does not allow this unless the whole
editor is distributed under the same terms as Enigma (i.e., certainly
not shareware!).  I don't consider this a problem in this particular
case, but you should at least have asked!

A shareware level editor for a GPL'ed game just seems wrong!

4) It would be nice if I did not have to use google to learn about
projects like this.  Please inform me about new releases. :-)

He did indirectly alert you. Please read the comments to this bug:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=102263

PS: I don't think it's wise to include the Oxyd magnum data file with
Oxyd 2000.  Dongleware still holds the copyrights for this one, as far
as I know.

I doubt it is any big deal, copyright violation is only a problem if the copyright holder files charges related to it. Seeing as Meinolf Schneider has ignored all attempts to contact
him about OXYD I doubt he would prosecute anybody.

Tacvek