[Enigma-devel] Oxyd 2000

From: Siegfried Fennig
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Oxyd 2000
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:50:37 +0200

An den oder die Autoren von OXYD2000.

Nachstehend die Stellungnahme von Herrn Daniel Heck:

I'm the main author of Enigma.  I recently stumbled over your Oxyd 2000
web site <http://nicosoftgames.free.fr/oxyd2000/news.htm>.  Although I
appreciate the fact that (a) you obviously like Oxyd and Enigma a lot
and (b) you include full credits for Enigma on your web site and in the
installer, I would like to clarify a few points.

Although Enigma is freely available, it *is* copyrighted.  The terms of
modification and distribution are detailed in COPYING.txt which comes
with every release of Enigma.  With a little effort, French translations
of this license can certainly be found on the internet.  Please read it
and try to understand its implications.  If questions remain I'm sure we
will be able to sort them out.

At this point I have only four simple requests:

1) Please distribute COPYING.txt with Oxyd 2000 and  state more clearly
which parts of Oxyd 2000 fall under your copyright.  The parts taken or
derived from Enigma must be made available unter the terms of the GPL,
and it's your duty to inform users about the rights and freedoms implied
by this license.  Study COPYING.txt for details.

2) The executable oxyd2000.exe is a (slightly) modified version of
enigma.exe.  Removing my name from the credits screen is not very nice,
to say the least.  You have every right (and opportunity) to claim
credits for *your* work, but not for mine.

3) It appears that your level editor includes some of Enigma's graphics
files in the .exe file.  I'm not going to pick nits here, but a strict
interpretation of Enigma's license does not allow this unless the whole
editor is distributed under the same terms as Enigma (i.e., certainly
not shareware!).  I don't consider this a problem in this particular
case, but you should at least have asked!

4) It would be nice if I did not have to use google to learn about
projects like this.  Please inform me about new releases. :-)

Other than that, nice work and keep it going.  Please contact me if you
have any further questions regarding the copyright situation.

Regards
Daniel Heck

PS: I don't think it's wise to include the Oxyd magnum data file with
Oxyd 2000.  Dongleware still holds the copyrights for this one, as far
as I know.

=

Diesem Schreiben schliesse ich mich, soweit auf meine Person zutreffend,
vollinhaltlich an.

Gleichzeitig bitte ich Sie um folgendes:

Entfernen Sie unverzueglich die OXYDIBM.DAT.

Keiner der Autoren von ENIGMA moechte durch Sie in den Verdacht einer
Copyright-Verletzung
gebracht werden.

Gleichzeitig protestiere ich hiermit heftig gegen die Verunstaltung der
Namenliste auf der Seite Credits.

Bitte bringen Sie das rasch in Ordnung.

Mit freundlichem Gruss

Siegfried Fennig