Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma - Oxyd Emulation

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma - Oxyd Emulation
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:33:17 +0100

Benjamin S. wrote:

> Except Oxyd Magnum Gold I own all the Oxyd games and therefore I was
> very happy when I found Enigma because now I finally can play the
> games in windows without problems. I tried the Oxyd emulation in
> Enigma and it worked rather
> good but there are some problems (in the following I will only talk
> about emulated oxyd levels):

The Oxyd emulation in Enigma 0.81 was never meant to be complete; I'm
surprised that so many people seem to enjoy it nevertheless.  Finishing
the emulation at least for Oxyd 1 is one of my priorities right now; I
aim for full Oxyd 1 compatiblity in Enigma 0.90.  Per.Oxyd and later are
a little more difficult because they add a couple of objects that Enigma
does not support yet (like the hover boards for example).

> 2. In some emulated maps there are invisible objects and when I run
> across them, I get an object called "dummy". A map where this happened
> to me seems to be unbeatable, too.

These might be invisible sensors used in many of the Oxyd levels, I'm
not sure.  Expect them to work in the next release :-)

> 3. In some maps the lasers don't work correctly. For example in Level
> 2 of Oxyd 1 the laser is supposed to destroy the stones. He does that
> in the original Oxyd 1 but not when I emulate this map in Enigma, the
> laser doesn't have any effect.

works in Enigma's development version

> 4. In certain maps there are glass stones which are said to be
> breakable by pushing heavily against them. I didn't manage to do this
> in a certain level but I am not sure if this is a problem of the
> emulation or if I just need to do something else to break these
> stones.

Mhh, this *should* work...

> 5. Some objects don't seem to have an effect. I found a calculator in
> a level but I can't do anything with it. Here again I don't know if
> it's a problem of the emulation because I can't play this level in the
> original game.

The calculator enables the mouse-o-meter in Per.Oxyd; it serves no other
purpose.

> I think the emulation function is one of the best features of Enigma.
> I would be grateful if you could have a look at the things I wrote
> here and maybe eliminate these problems in further versions of Enigma.
> If you wish I can
> try to give you the exact level numbers of emulated maps, where I
> encounter problems, but I can't say anything about Oxyd Magnum Gold,
> because I don't have it. I thank you for making this really great game
> Enigma!

We always need beta-testers for upcoming releases... would you like to
help testing the oxyd emulation for Enigma 0.90? The beta testing phase
is probably still more than a month off, but we always need volunteers.

Thanks for writing in,
Daniel