Re: [Enigma-devel] Oxyd .DAT file format

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Oxyd .DAT file format
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:35:13 +0100

Hi Jeremy,

> I wanted to mention something I've been working on that may be
> relevant to the Enigma project.  I have put a good bit of effort into
> reverse engineering the file format of the .DAT files used by Oxyd to
> store information such as the levels, graphics, and sounds.  I started
> this a long time ago with the idea of eventually being able to create
> new levels to play with the Oxyd game engine, but with the existence
> of Enigma there are other possibilities.  Probably the most
> interesting would be a completely automated conversion of all the
> original Oxyd levels to be played with Enigma.  Daniel, I noticed you
> were asking about extracting the sounds on the Oxyd yahoo group --
> that would also be possible.

Cool!  I spent a few hours last week trying to figure out at least the
basics of Oxyd's data format, but I didn't get very far.  I would love
to hear what you have found out so far, maybe I can even help you fill
in the missing pieces.  I expected Dongleware to have put a good deal of
effort into garbling the data files (in particular the level
information), so I gave up quickly.  Good you haven't... :>

This great news!

Daniel