Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Enigma 0.60-beta

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Enigma 0.60-beta
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:01:14 +0100

> Well, I downloaded the zip file and built enigma. But at execution the
>
> game failed with some errors. It turned out that levelpacks from
> index.lua were not in zipfile. I believe that they will be in the
> final 0.60, as most users seldom crawl through the c-code looking for
> the format of those files, trying to create them themselves :) I'm
> talking about levels/index_enigma.txt, levels/index_esprit.txt,
> levels/index_oxyd.txt and so on.

Good you notice this.  I just updated the package in the download area.
You can also use the files in the appended zipfile if you don't want to
download the whole thing again.

> So after some trouble I finally reached the gameplay. And, hey! I
> don't believe my eyes! The game looks so much better since last
> release! It could be just a luck in selecting the levels, but those
> "little graphics improvements" did a great difference. Also some new
> levels that I played are cool - I love the cooperation of the actors
> in multi-marble ones (like in martin50 or martin51). Magnets are cool.
> Ice-ground is also cool :).

Thanks.

> Some comments.
>
> While playing with two actors, big black and big white marble, tha
> game should end after either of them "dies", IMHO. Now, end of game is
> only "bound" with death of one of them, and if the other dies, the
> game continues.
> I noticed that the same is for other actor combinations, if there is
> more than one. Maybe it's done like after the dead of all actors the
> game ends, ... still, I think that first dead actor should mean level
> replay.

Right now this behaviour is intentional.  Sometimes there's a way to
finish a level with the remaining actors if one of them dies so the
level isn't automatically restarted.  But I will think about it.

> After finishing last map in level list, the game does SIGSEGV. I would
>
> send some backtrace if only I have known how to :). It does no
> difference if there is just one map or there are all of them in one
> list - last level finished => SIGSEGV.

It segfaults? Strange, it works for me.  A backtrace would really help:

First, enable core dumps and run enigma:

        $ ulimit -c unlimited
        $ ./enigma

(crashes)

        $ gdb ./enigma core

The "bt" command in gdb should now give you a backtrace.

Cheers
Daniel

--
Daniel Heck                             address@hidden