emms-help

Re: regards display of the mpv window while using as default player

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: regards display of the mpv window while using as default player
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:11:00 +0500

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:38:54 +0300
Aleksas Tunikas <mail@aleksas.ru> wrote:

> The topic I was asking help about turned out that I either forgot or
> didn't put the --no-config flag in emms-payers-mpv-parameters that way
> the default config file has some kind of option that activated the gui
> window regardless of other default flags. The aforementioned no config
> option solved the problems completely. In case anyone will be ever
> facing the same problem. G'day

You've mentioned --quiet, but afaik that doesn't really control
GUI window creation, which is not really a bug but a feature for
queueing video streams, or using ffmpeg audio visualizations, so not
hard-disabled by default.

I'd probably try adding either --force-window=no or --vo=null in
emms-player-mpv-parameters to make sure video window is never created
instead, if that's the intent.

--no-config should disable something like --force-window from mpv
config, if it's there, but I think should still open window if you
queue e.g. video files or streams.

mpv also has "profiles" feature, where it allows one to define separate
blocks of configuration parameters, enabled via --profile=<name> option.
This can allow you to split common platform-specific opts (e.g. audio
output configuration) from options intended for different usage scenarios.

For example, instead of --no-config, you can create [emms] section in
~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf and add --profile=emms to emms-player-mpv-parameters,
so that emms with stick to that, while e.g. separate [video] profile
can be used to handle video playback with forced window display/geometry
settings and such.

Same thing can be configured in multiple ways though, only difference
is whichever one is more convenient in your specific case, I think.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net