emms-help

Tag-Editor cuts album title / deletes other tags

From: Titus Müller
Subject: Tag-Editor cuts album title / deletes other tags
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 07:52:00 +0100

Dear EMMS-Team,

I am excited to discover EMMS, and just started to use it as my daily music
player (I listen to music during work). Thank you so much for developing and
improving it so greatly!

I also love the fact it has a tag editor. About half of my music collection I
bought on Amazon, and it comes with many tags well filled. I use the COMM-field
to categorize my music regarding the type of work I'm doing, and used to let
CMUS filter it. Then I have many playlists too.

Now, when I open the EMMS tag editor and an album has a longer title, it is cut
short by the tag editor. As soon as I commit changes there, the short-cut album
title is saved to the music file and the rest of the title is lost. Would it be
possible to maybe _show_ the cut title for formatting reasons, but internally
keep the long string and save it? I guess formatting is the reason you keep the
string short.

Another issue I came upon is that the EMMS tag editor deletes all other tags
when saving its own tags. I used id3tag before, and there the other tags are
kept. It's not the end of the world, but it feels a bit like losing
information. Well, no high priority problem, I just wanted to mention it. :)

And lastly: When I want to use CMUS too from time to time, a track I edited in
the EMMS tag editor is taken out of the order of tracks, which bothers me a
bit. It might be, because Amazon numbers its tracks when downloading them like
this:

TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 8/35

And the EMMS tag editor saves the track position like this:

TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 8

Then, when I open the album in CMUS after editing the tags of Track 8 in EMMS,
Track Number 8 is shown at the very beginning, before Track Number 1.

It feels strange to send you these minor problems while being very happy with
EMMS. And I am no programmer, so it might be I just don't get it right. So
thank you very much for making it possible to listen to music in Emacs and to
organize a collection of music and playlists!

All the best

Titus