emacsconf-org

Re: EmacsConf format and date

From: emacsconf
Subject: Re: EmacsConf format and date
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 14:06:02 +0200

Hi,

Sacha Chua (sacha@sachachua.com) wrote:

> Hi Amin, all! (Moved to the list, seems publicly discussable).
>
> For the interview/panel live sessions, we can either do video (using the
> > FSF's Jitsi or BigBlueButton instance) or only voice (using Mumble).
> > Even if we go with video, I'm still thinking of setting up Mumble this
> > year, as an alternative to IRC.  Thoughts?
> >

> Definitely video, since it's much easier to talk about Emacs if we can show
> Emacs as needed. :) I'm not sure how an audio channel will work without
> visual cues, but it might be fun to experiment.

Yes, I share the very same opinion.

Besides: IRC/chat does have the advantage that it does not require
real-time interaction or drags away attention that much.

> We also need to decide on a date for EmacsConf 2020.  I'm leaning
> > towards mid- or late-November.  I'm thinking of setting aside two days
> > this year, in case we have as many awesome submissions as we did last
> > year, to lighten the load on us organizers and on viewers as well.
>
> I'm not sure I can do a full weekend, as my kiddo will probably not be cool
> with that. Maybe someone else can do the tech checks and running around on
> the second day, or we could try two half-days?

What about one day with pre-defined schedule and another (half-) day
with spontaneous lightning talks that aren't necessarily
pre-scheduled or pre-defined?

--
Karl Voit