Re: [FR] Should we resolve environment variables in the file link path w

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FR] Should we resolve environment variables in the file link path when exporting? (was: [FR] Please add environment variable substitution in `org-display-inline-images')
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 08:52:52 +0000

Pan Xie <xiepan@skyguard.com.cn> writes:

> Oh, that path will be horrible! Variable substitution is really
> important since it is an abstraction to make the same org file works on
> different hosts with different path hierarchies. I believe there are
> lots of users already rely on it, even without being documented. The
> reasonable thinking would be supporting more substitutions, rather than
> remove any.

Do not worry. https://bzg.fr/en/the-software-maintainers-pledge/:

    I won't break your user experience.
    I won't remove features.

I just wanted to point out that a discussion may be needed wrt export.
Maybe some other export backends also support env variables in file
paths? We should be a bit more careful if we want to support the
substitution everywhere, not just when opening file links from Emacs.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,