Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:19:15 +0300

* AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> [2023-01-22 21:49]:
> Isn't this rather important? How many users of orgmode get TODOs via E-Mail
> and need an efficient way to come back from the TODO to its origin?

Absolutely!

There are many uses apart from tasks, there are attachments.

Legally is better not to delete attachment from e-mail to keep it as
evidence, and references to document in the e-mail are useful.

It seem as a "forgotten" and lacking feauture in many software.

TECHNOLOGY TEMPLATE PROJECT OHS Framework :
https://www.dougengelbart.org/content/view/110/460/

**** Dynamic knowledge capture, integration, management

Automated capture,  indexing and cross-referencing,  integrated email,
journal/library,  intelligence collections;  utilities for  repository
management

Sadly software designers do not follow successful principles, they
tend to follow personal or individual demands, and we get some use of
it, though we could do so much more for people.

- automated capture is missing in many software programs, as programs
  are tool centric, made to be "better" among competition, instead of
  integrating with competition.

  Example is Evince PDF viewer which does not have capture system. At
  least it has referencing system by page and query. While XPdf
  program has possibility to capture and reference in the same
  time.

  Many PDF viewers don't have system to capture page number, query,
  some have annotations usable only from inside of the tool, without
  providing integration to other applications.

So it is with E-mail clients, they tend to be self-centric, not
providing information in usable way to other applications. Would they
do, there would be no such external tools like `mu' and `notmuch` for
indexing, as any information would be already indexed and re-usable by
other software (competition).

In Emacs we have that option to remember position of a cursor in some
specific file by customizing `save-place' option. That is miniscule
example of automatic capture of piece of information such as location
of a cursor, and with automatic referencing to that piece of
information so that user get to that portion of the file or text where
user was in last session. I think it should be by default. And so many
text editors do not have that basic feature.

It is good to keep filing feature requests to various software authors
that they start implementing note capturing features.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman