Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:20:08 -0500

> So I guess the timestamp format and the code which manages them will
> need the ability to use the full TZ name and not just the abbreviated
> form (and I guess an option to allow the user to select). In fact, we
> probably need a way to select between abbreviated/full dynamically as
> well as you might use the different TZ types as a way to flag which
> timestamps you want to adjust due to TZ changes (either in TZ db or in
> user location) and those you don't want changed.

I think the only sane way to do this is to require timezone abbreviations
/expansions to be defined in the file itself and never in an init.el there is
simply too much ambiguity and if the information is lost we are out of luck.

Of course then the question comes whether we can use something like
#+tzinfo: US/Central CT
#+tzoff: CST -06:00
#+tzoff: CDT -05:00
I don't think it is wise to allow users to map #+tzinfo: US/Central CST
because that will produce surprising and results when US/Central
changes to DST. Ugh, what a mess.