Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 22:12:58 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2023-01-14 19:59]:
> On 14/01/2023 20:08, Jean Louis wrote:
> > * Max Nikulin [2023-01-14 10:14]:
> > > Let's assume <2023-01-15 Sun 09:00 +1>
> > >
> > > It may be suitable for timestamps in the past, but future is more tricky.
> > > There is no problem if you are going to watch Lunar eclipse. However if
> > > your
> > > plan is to attend a local event there is a chance that you will arrive at
> > > wrong time. Sometimes offset of timezones is changed and it may happen
> > > between the moment when you added a scheduled time and the moment of the
> > > event.
> >
> > Can't follow you.
> >
> > with "+1" I would say it is time zone.
> >
> > Basic point is that users shall learn to express themselves by using
> > time zone.
>
> "+1" is not a timezone, it is current offset shared by several timezones.
> You can not assure that time offset at a particular location would not
> change due to new administrative rules.

Fine, that was example to indicat time zone. I don't really use Org
for timestamps since quite some time, as every time stamp on my side
must be stored in database.

My Org usage is with generated read-only buffers these days. It is
good for representation and sometimes conversion to other files.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman