Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 22:06:20 +0300

* Daryl Manning <daryl@wakatara.com> [2023-01-13 11:59]:
> *Background*
>
> 1. org-time-stamp-formats TZ currently only affects display and exports
> 2. org-agenda itself is not TZ aware
> 3. Several discussions on this have taken place over time
> 4. Concerns raise included breaking backwards compatibility
>
> *Proposal*
>
> 1. org-mode sets an optional variable (org-timezone-aware t) which enables
> TZ
> 2. org-agenda needs a way to determine which timezone it is in
> 3. Once enabled, any timestamp not exhibiting a TZ in it is considered
> "local time" wherever that is (I do not think UTC would work for this)
> 4. org-agenda can calc local based on TZ differences

Totally understandable.

In my opinion time functions shall be implemented, if they are not, in
Emacs generally, not only Org specific.

This is good for review as related to PostgreSQL database:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This#Don.27t_use_timestamp_.28without_time_zone.29

Analogously it would be best that Org becomes time zone aware.

It would mean that timestamps become time zone aware. Something like this:

<2023-01-15 Sun +1>

When timestamp becomes time zone aware, then as preliminary option it
would be possible to update all the timestamps in an Org file for
personal use.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns