Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 07:32:00 +1100

> Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I will note that this doesn't address the issue of syntax for
>> historical and future dates. For historical dates those almost always
>> require significant additional metadata to compensate for things like
>> the julian/gregorian calendar switchover etc. for future dates we may
>> want to go ahead and specify something beyond YYYY-.
>
> This is somewhat orthogonal to time zones.
>
> I am not sure if julian/gregorian is handled by system time libraries.
> It should, no?
>
> As for years BC, <-0001-...> will be a breaking change. But I do not
> think that we need to really worry about this. Not unless we actually
> get feature request. What is the practical application?

Given that the stated approach is to leverage off OS facilities in this
area, it probably should also be noted that some OSs don't handle
historical dates, especially BC ones, at all well. For example, some OS
use a 32 bit number to represent the date+time and can really only
handle dates between approx 1900 and 2038 (or around there - cannot
remember specific range). So with respect to timestamps and time related
calculations, we are limited by the capabilities of the least capable
supported OS.